Tuesday, January 26, 2010

2010 RESOLUTIONS


So, here we are almost to February and I'm just getting to this.  I like to think that my delay is due to reflection and serious consideration into my goals for the coming year and not procrastination.  But really procrastination seems to work for me this year.  I mean look at these beautiful flowers I have blooming in my kitchen!  These beautiful bulbs, which were supposed to decorate my Christmas table, are brightening my day because I procrastinated and mistreated them in 2009.



To be honest, I don't take the New Year's Resolution thing too seriously.  But often in January, after the busyness of the holidays is over, the days are shorter and a long stretch of nothing but winter is before us, I do take time to reflect and ask myself  "what do I want to do now?"

Last January I sent a family newsletter in lieu of Christmas cards.  (Another instance where procrastination worked in my favor.)  Instead of a rush of address collecting, a hurried signature and a last minute trip to the post office I was able to put together a fun newsletter highlighting our year with great photos and a personal message to each recipient.  In the newsletter I listed our goals for 2009. It included things like: make pancakes every Saturday, bake homemade bread, read more books, spend more time in prayer, and start a blog.  Well, it has taken me until 2010 to start the blog but I am happy to report that EVERY Saturday is pancake day (with an occasional waffle thrown in), and we have reaped the benefits of all our family goals without putting a lot of pressure on ourselves.

So, what will 2010 bring?  That's a question I often ask myself.  We don't know where we will live when our lease is up here, we don't know if we will continue homeschooling next year, we don't know many things. But we do know that God orders our steps and that there are joys to be discovered in each season.

The low pressure, good fun, beneficial for family, goals for 2010:

1.  get technologically  savvy - YIPEE I learned how to set up a blog, and figured out the whole YouTube thing already!
2.  read through my 2010 book list (more on this later)
3.  train a crazy maniac dog how to be a productive member of our family
4.  volunteer at the nursing home with my kiddos
5.  worry less about my children's flaws and look for ways to encourage their gifts
6.  work our way through the BIG FAT COOKIES cookbook


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

P.S.  Funny story - We never stay up to ring in the New Year so I greeted 2010 when I got up in the wee early hours to check on our new puppy.  I stepped out of bed and directly into a warm puddle.  "That's a nice way to start the year" I muttered.  My husband sleepily replied "That's got to mean something on the Chinese calendar" then he went back to sleep.

No comments: