Tuesday, June 22, 2010

GOODBYES

Today we had our last visit with the residents at a local assisted living home.  We have been visiting them on Tuesdays for the last several months.  It has been a good experience for all of us and we will miss them when we move.


We never really planned anything.  We would just show up with a puzzle or some postcards, a few books or a favorite doll just to break the ice.  They taught us how to play marbles, they were a great audience for my son's piano playing, and delighted in just watching the kids play.  

Today we enjoyed the warm weather in the courtyard.   The kids passed around a box of shells and then lined them up according to shape.  It was a delightful morning!  I would encourage you to try it.
The young with the old - It is a gift for all involved.

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am stopping by from Jenny's blog. I love this idea. I've thought of it but then thought it might just be chaos with my crew. I might be wrong.

Sweetums5 said...

I am joining in late at Jenny's 60 Seconds on Tuesday, and just wanted to say that I enjoyed your post. What a blessing that must have been for the residents and your family! I enjoyed looking at the shells as well. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny said...

Misty, my daughters have recently been askingif we could visit a nursing home. We just might after seeing you all do it.

The dB family said...

What beautiful special and memorable moments you have made for both your children and the elderly that you have spent time with!

Blessings!
Deborah

Misty said...

i'm stopping by from jenny's as well, and i love this idea. we have no grandparents, so i think a few surrogates would be a great idea! how did you get started? did you ask the home if you could just show up, or did you just go?